School Closure Due to Bad Weather Conditions
In the event of severe weather conditions, we have to consider key issues to make judgements about school closure. Closing the school is the very last option for us:
· We know that for working parents when the school has to close this presents problems with regard to childcare, so the decision will not be taken lightly.
· We have to weigh up many different risks regarding travelling to school, site safety and pupil supervision on site. Maintaining the level of learning is extremely important, but we have to balance that against the risks to our pupils and staff.
· We will liaise closely with our local transport companies and senior staff in neighbouring schools. We will monitor local weather reports and liaise with our staff members in outlying areas to assess the travel conditions that might be affecting those who come to school by car and bus.
· We will assess if we have sufficient numbers of staff on site to allow us to effectively supervise more than 870 students.
· We will contact parents/carers via Parentmail. There will also be notifications and information on the school website, local radio and our social media.