Taunton Academy Uniform:
• Black jacket/ blazer with embroidered academy logo – available from the Uniform Shop
• Black trousers or black (knee length) skirt or black tailored shorts.
o Trousers and skirts should be pressed and well maintained.
o Skinny trousers are not acceptable.
o Black jeans are not acceptable.
o Stretchy skirts are not acceptable.
o Belts should be black and of standard width and size with standard buckles.
• White shirt with collar.
• Academy grey jumper with purple trim – available from the Uniform Shop.
o Jumpers are not compulsory. However, non-uniform jumpers are not acceptable.
o Hoodies and sweatshirts are not acceptable
• Purple clip-on tie with silver stripes – available from the Uniform Shop.
• Plain black socks or plain dark coloured tights.
• Black, sensible, safe shoes. Shoes must be able to be polished.
o Shoes must be ENTIRELY BLACK, with no other colours, or highlights.
o Canvas shoes offer no protection to students and are not acceptable.
o Boots are not acceptable.
o Astro-turf trainers are not acceptable.
o Shoes must be flat.
• Extreme hairstyles, such as shaved heads, tramlines, shaved patterns are not acceptable.
• Dyed hair must be of a natural colour. The judgement of staff will be the basis for natural hair colour.
• Make up (including nail polish) must not be worn by any students in Year 7, Year 8 or Year 9.
• Year 10 and Year 11 students make up must be discrete and natural. This will be based on the judgement of academy staff. If students are deemed to have excessive make up, they will be asked to remove it.
• False fingernails are not acceptable.
• False eyelashes / extensions are not acceptable.
• Jewellery is discouraged, as The Taunton Academy cannot accept any responsibility for the loss, or damage of jewellery.
• However, the following are acceptable:
o A watch
o ONE fine chain around the neck.
o ONE PAIR of plain stud, or small sleeper earrings.
o ONE plain ring.
• Facial piercings are not allowed. Students will be asked to remove them immediately – regardless of how recently the piercing was done, or the cost.
• Only one piercing in each earlobe is acceptable. No multiple piercings and no tragus piercings.
Parents are reminded that these rules are subject to change in certain subjects i.e. rings are dangerous if worn in workshops, an apron is necessary for food technology, pottery and workshop activities and jewellery must not be worn during PE or games. If you are in doubt, please speak to the appropriate year leader at the academy rather than buy items which are not allowed. If you have any difficulties, are unable to access the website or require any advice, please contact your child’s tutor. The Head Teacher’s decision is final in all matters of uniform.
• It is important that all pupils bring the correct kit to their physical education lessons, as this contributes to a strong sense of identity and allows us to maximise our teaching time as time is not wasted supplying spare kit.
• Kit is regularly checked by staff to ensure that our high standards are maintained.
• All kit must be clearly marked with your child’s FULL name.
• Hoodies are not acceptable for PE, as they are not safe and are not school uniform.
• Students with long hair will also need to ensure this is tied-up, for safety reasons. Please supply hair bands.
o Taunton Academy PE Top
o Black shorts o Football/hockey socks.
o Football boots/ AstroTurf-trainers/ trainers
o Optional black tracksuit bottoms
o Optional black Academy sports jacket
o Taunton Academy PE Top
o Black Shorts o Black Football/ Hockey Socks o Non-marking trainers
o We very much recommend that students also have available shin guards and mouth guards for activities such as Football/ Hockey and Rugby.
If a student is unable to take part in PE we do expect them to have a note. We will still expect that student to take part in the lesson as coach/referee or observer and therefore they will be expected to change. If a student misses two lessons in a row, then a doctor’s note will be required.
Financial support is available from the Bishop Fox’s Educational Foundation. Please click the link for more information: Uniform Grants (bfef.org.uk)